Uinta County

1850 Fort Bridger on the Green River

History of Fort Bridger

Sometime in the year 1842 James Bridger and Benito Vasquez established a trading post on Black’s Fork of the Green River, about thirty miles east of the present city of Evanston and gave it the name of Fort Bridger. Here was made the second permanent settlement in Wyoming. The post was several times attacked by Indians, one of the most disastrous occurring in August, 1843. The fort was surrounded by a number of Shoshone Indian lodges, that tribe being on friendly terms with the old trader and his partner.

The Oregon Trail

Four years after the journey of Whitman and Spaulding to the northwest a missionary of different faith but no less devoted to the service of God and man entered the confines of the original Uinta County. He was Father de Smet, a member of the Society of Jesus, who had come as a young man …

The Oregon Trail Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top