Wyoming Genealogy

Fort McKinney

History of Fort McKinney

On October 12, 1876, Fort McKinney was established on the northwest bank of Powder River, three miles above and south of the site of old Fort Reno. It was first called “Cantonment Reno” On July 18, 1877; the location was changed to the north bank of Clear Creek, a short distance west of the present City of Buffalo and about two miles above the crossing of the old Bozeman Road. The old site was then used as a depot. The mane of Fort McKinney was given to the post on August 30, 1877, after the removal. The first substantial buildings …

History of Fort McKinney Read More »

Fort Stambaugh, Wyoming near Sweetwater River, 1870; Shoshoni Chief Washakie's camp

History of Fort Stambaugh

Soon after the discovery of gold in the South Pass region in 1867, a request was made for troops to protect the miners from Indian depredations. The request was ignored for a time, but in June 1870 a small military station was established in Smith’s Gulch, near Atlantic City and given the name of Camp Stambaugh. Two years later it was garrisoned by two companies, which were quartered in four large log buildings. The presence of these troops kept the Shoshone and Bannock Indians from a possible outbreak. On January 27, 1878, Gen. Philip H. Sheridan recommended the removal of …

History of Fort Stambaugh Read More »

Fort Washakie in 1883

History of Fort Washakie

The Shoshone or Wind River Reservation was established by the treaty concluded at Fort Bridger on July 3, 1868, and on June 28, 1869, an order was issued for the establishment of a garrison at some point upon the reservation. A site was selected near the junction of Trouth Creek and the Little Wind River and a post was established under the name of Camp Augur, in honor of Gen C. C. Augur, one of the officers who had negotiated the treaty the year before. On March 28, 1870, the name was changed to Camp Brown and on December 30, …

History of Fort Washakie Read More »

Fort Fred Steele in 1868

History of Fort Fred Steele

This fort was located at the point where the Union Pacific Railroad crosses the North Platte River, in Carbon County, and was established by Col. Richard I. Dodge on June 30, 1868, as a protection to the builders of the railroad. It was named in honor of Maj. Gen. Frederick Steele of Civil war fame. Withinforty-eight hours after the completion of the fort, camp followers to the number of five hundred or more had established the town of “Brownsville” nearby. Five days later the population of the town was estimated at fifteen hundred. On June 28, 1869, the Government established …

History of Fort Fred Steele Read More »

General Crook's Headquarters, Fort Fetterman - Etching from Harper's Weekly, December 16, 1876

History of Fort Fetterman

On July 19, 1867, Fort Fetterman was established at the mouth of the La Prele Creek and was named in honor of brevet Lieut. Col. W. J. Fetterman, captain in the Twenty-fourth Regular Infantry, who was killed near Fort Phil Kearny on December 21, 1866. By 1872 it had been enlarged to a post of four companies and was one of the best equipped military establishments in the state. At that time the nearest Indians were the Ogallala Sioux, 385 lodges; the Cheyenne, 300 lodges; the Arapaho, 150 lodges; and a few straggling bands of other tribes. A small garrison …

History of Fort Fetterman Read More »

Plan of Fort Kearney from Indian Fights and Fighters (1904)

History of Fort Philip Kearny

This is one of two forts established by order of Maj. Gen. John Pope on the Bozeman Road in 1866. Col. H. B. Carrington was commissioned to select the sites and build Forts Phil Kearny and C. F. Smith. The former was staked off on July 15, 1866, and the latter, ninety miles northwest, in Montana, early in August. Fort Phil Kearny was completed on the 21st of October and for several months the posts and the country immediately surrounding it were the scene of several conflicts with the hostile Indians. An account of the massacre of Capt. W. J. …

History of Fort Philip Kearny Read More »

Buffalo, elk, pronghorn, deer, mountain sheep and wolf skulls and bones at Fort Sanders, 1870

History of Fort Sanders

By orders from the war department, Fort Sanders was established on July 10, 1866, three miles south of Laramie City, and was at first known as “Fort John Buford.” On September 5, 1866, the name was changed to Fort Sanders, in honor of W. P. Sanders, captain in the Second United States Cavalry and later a brigadier-general of volunteers. It was established as a protection for the Denver & Salt Lake stage line and the emigrant trains passing over the Oregon Trail. The Union Pacific Railroad was completed to this point late in the spring of 1868, and on June …

History of Fort Sanders Read More »

Fort Reno

History of Fort Reno

On August 11, 1865, when Gen. P. E. Connor reached the Powder River, 23½ miles above the mouth of Crazy Woman Fork, he established there a small post which was named Camp Connor. In the latter part of June, 1866, Col. H. B. Carrington repaired and garrisoned the fort and the name was changed to Fort Reno, in honor of Gen. Isaac Reno, a hero of the Civil war. It was abandoned under an order issued by General Grant on March 2, 1868.

Fort Casper Plan

History of Fort Casper

Early in the year 1865 a military camp was established near the present City of Casper and was known as “Platte Bridge.” Upon the recommendation of Lieut.-Col. W. O. Collins of the Eleventh Ohio Cavalry, it was changed from a small and occasional troop station to a permanent post. In his official communication, Lieutenant Colonel Collins said: “The permanent cure for the hostilities of the northern Indians is to go into the heart of their buffalo country and build and hold forts until the trouble is over.” On March 28, 1865, the District of the Plains was established by order …

History of Fort Casper Read More »

Pony Express Map William Henry Jackson

History of Fort Halleck

Fort Halleck, named in honor of Gen. Henry W. Halleck, one of the noted Union .generals in the Civil war, was established on July 20, 1862. It was located near the foot of the Medicine Bow Mountains and was for a time the most important military post in the Rocky Mountain region, being the center of the Indian warfare of that period. In the spring of 1863, when Capt. J. L. Humfreville of the Eleventh Ohio Cavalry was in command of the post, the troops worked both east and west from the fort, guarding mail coaches and emigrant trains, and …

History of Fort Halleck Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top