Wyoming Genealogy

Pony Express Map William Henry Jackson

History of Fort Walbach

Under an order dated September 20, 1858, Fort Walbach was established on Lodge Pole Creek, near Cheyenne Pass, eighty-five miles southwest of Fort Laramie. It was named in honor of Brig. Gen. John DeB. Walbach, a distinguished soldier of the War of 181 2. As the post was not intended as a permanent institution, only buildings of a temporary nature were constructed. The fort was abandoned on April 19, 1859. The site of this old fort was marked by the Wyoming Daughters of the American Revolution in 1914.

1850 Fort Bridger on the Green River

History of Fort Bridger

Sometime in the year 1842 James Bridger and Benito Vasquez established a trading post on Black’s Fork of the Green River, about thirty miles east of the present city of Evanston and gave it the name of Fort Bridger. Here was made the second permanent settlement in Wyoming. The post was several times attacked by Indians, one of the most disastrous occurring in August, 1843. The fort was surrounded by a number of Shoshone Indian lodges, that tribe being on friendly terms with the old trader and his partner.

Camp Carlin - Cheyenne Depot, Wyoming 1884

History of Camp Carlin

Shortly after the establishment of Fort Russell and the completion of the railroad across the continent, supplies that were formerly transported by wagon were shipped by rail and it became necessary to establish distributing points for handling army freight. Accordingly a quartermaster’s depot was located at Cheyenne, or more properly, on the Fort Russell reserve about half way between the city and the fort. When first located it was given the name of Camp Carlin, but when enlarged and completed it obtained the official name of “Cheyenne Depot.” The central situation of Cheyenne between Omaha and Salt Lake City and …

History of Camp Carlin Read More »

History of Fort D. A. Russell

For the protection of the men engaged in the construction of the Union Pacific Railroad, military camps were established along the line in advance of the working forces. A year before the road was completed to the present site of Cheyenne, Gen. Grenville M. Dodge with his corps of engineers and a company of soldiers, encamped on Crow Creek where Fort Russell is now located. They lived in tents but soon began to erect log cabins. Early in 1867, the Government decided to make Fort Russell a permanent post and erect substantial buildings. The first trip made by John Hunton into Wyoming was when he took a freight train with finishing lumber from Julesburg to be used in the construction of the fort. This was in the spring of 1867, before Cheyenne was on the map. Therefore the origin of Fort Russell antedates Cheyenne.

Alfred Jacob Miller - Fort Laramie - Walters

History of Fort Laramie

For more than half a century Fort Laramie was the most important historical point in the great Northwest region between the Missouri River and the Pacific Coast. It was the central base of supplies and a military station on the overland trails across the plains and mountains to Oregon, California and Utah, over which the “forty-niners,” Mormons and Oregon emigrants trekked in huge trains and cavalcades. For many years it was the rendezvous of the most powerful Indian tribes of the Northwest. It was the headquarters of the most famous explorers, hunters, trappers, scouts, guides and fur traders known in western history, including such men as Kit Carson, Jim Bridger, Jim Baker, Bordeau, Chatillion. La Ramie, St. Vrain. etc., and later Buffalo Bill, Frank Grouard, Big Bat and others.

Old Ridge Cemetery Burials, Weston County, Wyoming

Researched by Maxine Kaul in the Newcastle News and Newcastle Journal. Newcastle’s first cemetery, located in Sec. 45N, R61W, consists of 1/4 acres, which is smaller than the original cemetery. The land was given to the Weston County Historical Society by Tom and Marilyn Arnold. To get there: travel west on the by-pass on Hwy 16, turn left on the Fairground Road. Travel 1 mile on the gravel road. When you come to the dead end on the road going north and south, turn west(right) and travel 1/4 mile. The cemetery is fenced on the left and has a wrought iron gate, a …

Old Ridge Cemetery Burials, Weston County, Wyoming Read More »

Greenwood Cemetery Map

Greenwood Cemetery, Newcastle, Wyoming

NOTE: This is an index of cemetery lot owners, not actual burials. Turn north on Delaware Ave from Hwy 16 between the Loaf N Jug and the Christian Church. Transcribed by Marlene Dixon This index is from the Greenwood Cemetery Record Book located in the Newcastle City Hall and is several years out of date. Names appear exactly as they are in the book. Corrections are listed after page#. Pages 23 & 24 are missing from the book, but are included in the index in the front of it. Name Page # Name Page # Adams, John 60 Jackson, P. S. …

Greenwood Cemetery, Newcastle, Wyoming Read More »

Cambria Cemetery, Weston County, Wyoming

Cambria Cemetery, Weston County, Wyoming

This is a list of people buried in the Cambria Cemetery that was compiled by Maxine Kaul from personal research in old newsprint, previous lists by Hazel Wiltse, DAR, and published in “Black Hills Nuggets” also from personal correspondence and conversations, and names from other newsprint readers such as Neil Sweet, Irene Tunnell and personally reading inquests in the Weston County Clerk of Courts office. Additional information is available at the Anna Miller Museum, Newcastle, WY. (I) designates an inquest Name Birth date Death date Adam, Thomasi (I)   12 Jan 1912 Adams, Gerald 04 Jan 1896 02 Nov 1896 Aimone, Frank 1881 24 Jul …

Cambria Cemetery, Weston County, Wyoming Read More »

Yellowstone National Park

The first division of the vast region embraced in the original Uinta County was made in 1872, when the Congress of the United States set apart the Yellowstone National Park. It contains three thousand three hundred forty-eight square miles, all of which, except a small boundary to the east, north and west, comprising less than three hundred square miles, lay within the original Uinta County. This is the largest park in the world. It is not the purpose of this history to enter into a description of the wonders that have been the inspiration of some of the most beautiful …

Yellowstone National Park Read More »

Vicinity of Evanston, Uinta County, Wyoming

The first permanent settlement on Bear River was made by John Myers. In 1855 he came across the plains to Utah, and two years later was working as carpenter at Fort Bridger. In 186o he made his home on the east bank of Bear River at the point where the Salt Lake Trail crossed the stream, and from that day the place has been known as Myers’ Crossing. Among the group of well-kept buildings situated near the lower boundary of the ranch there was conspicuous for many years a two-story frame dwelling that had been moved to Hilliard and was …

Vicinity of Evanston, Uinta County, Wyoming Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top